Video sharing website Vimeo has launched an on-demand video service aimed at offering users the opportunity to earn money from their work.
The new service, dubbed Vimeo on Demand, lets creators keep a 90% share of the revenue they earn with the remaining 10% used for what the video sharing site calls transaction costs.
The site has started experimenting with pay-per-view content at the end of last year when it placed six movies behind a paywall and this move seems to be a push to postion Vimeo as the business choice for on demand viewing.
The service will allow users to select their own prices and countries where they want to make the video available and alllow users to customise their Vimeo page's appearance.
Content purchased through the new service will be available on compatible devices, including Samsung Smart TVs, Apple TV, iOS and Android, Roku set top boxes, Xbox Live and Boxee.
Vimeo CEO Kerry Trainor said: "Vimeo is committed to empowering creators with tools to display and distribute their work in beautiful HD quality."
"With the addition of Vimeo on Demand, creators can now use Vimeo to control the way they earn revenue and retain a significant portion of the proceeds," Trainor added.
Vimeo, which was founded in 2004, currently has about 15 million members and gets nearly 93 million views per month.